Wondering Why Your Air Conditioner is Making That Noise?
If your air conditioner is making strange sounds all of a sudden, you’re likely wondering what could be wrong. Our Valrico air condition repair experts have seen and heard everything when it comes to air conditioning problems. We’ll share some of the most common noises people call us about.
Types of Sounds
The sign of a properly functioning air conditioner is one that is generally quiet. This isn’t to say that air conditioners are noise-free; certain types of noises are normal. The sound your air conditioner is making is just a symptom of a root cause. If your system is making the following types of noise you’ll want to get it inspected.
- • Rattling
- • Banging
- • Clicking
- • Clanking
- • Buzzing
- • Humming
- • Squealing
- • Screaming
What Could Be the Problem?
Have you seen the car commercial where the customer tries to describe the sound their car is making to the mechanic? We’re all too familiar with this scenario. We’ll describe some of the issues that may be causing certain sounds below.
- • When some of the parts in your air conditioner (i.e., screws, bolts) become loose, you’re likely to hear a rattling sound.
- • If debris (i.e., sticks, leaves) gets caught in your fan, you may hear a banging sound.
- • If the fans of your motors are not lubricated you may hear some squealing or a grinding sound.
- • Electrical issues create a buzzing sound.
- • A leaking duct may whistle due to the air blowing through an opening.
- • The culprit for clicking could be failing contactors. This is typical of older air conditioners.
- • A serious refrigerant/coolant leak may cause a hissing sound. You’ll notice your home isn’t cooling properly.
What’s the Solution?
As you can see, there are various reasons why your air conditioner could be making noises. You can attempt to diagnose the problem yourself, but if you have no idea what the issue is, we recommend you call a professional to handle your Valrico AC repair. Our contractors are competent, professional, and thorough. We will examine, diagnose, and explain what’s going on with your system and give you some options to remedy the problem.